advice about Linux and software speech

ANN mylists at anntate.com
Sun Jan 15 04:54:04 EST 2006

Hello everyone,

I once had a very nice Slackware installation with Speakup set up on my old
computer, which used an internal doubletalk synthesizer. well, this computer
has now gone to the great junkyard in the sky, computer heaven, wherever.
LOL! I am now using a newer machine, but without the benefit of being able
to use my internal speech card since they don't make ISA slots in computers
anymore.

I'd like to have some Linux on this machine, but have never even begun to
play with it and  any type of software speech setup. So, what I'm looking
for is advice on which distribution works best (or at all) with software
speech, and is installation by a totally blind person possible? Or, now that
I have no hardware speech, and will not be getting any, am I just completely
out of luck in the Linux department?

Thanks much.

~Ann

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0603-0, 01/15/2006
Tested on: 1/15/2006 4:54:40 AM