tips on accessing the cygwin installer

Tyler Spivey tspivey at pcdesk.net
Sat Jan 14 02:35:56 EST 2006

Hello. Here are some brief instructions on how to use the cygwin
installer with jaws.  I haven't been able to get window-eyes to find the
scroll down arrow, so can't comment on its usage.

1. get to the select packages point.  2. turn off graphics in jaws
(insert-v, g, space, enter). They just get in your way.  3. if you click
on a category name, after using your jaws cursor to read down, it will
expand that category. if you click on the word next to a category, it
will change from default to install, uninstall, and something else (not
necessarilly in that order).  What you need to do when you are on a
package you want to install is to click on the word skip that appears
near the left of the line. it'll cycle through the versions of the
packages available - clicking once will work. When you want to go to the
next screen of packages, you can click on the scroll down arrow a few
times. What I do is have my jaws cursor on the scroll down arrow, click,
read line, if it's something I want to install, I press home, left
click, end, click (on the scroll arrow), and repeat.

If you maximize the window, the scroll down arrow (atleast on my screen)
is on a seperate line, so it's slightly more annoying to get to.
Sometimes you have to maximize the window though, since the package
names get cut off.

Hope this helps anybody who is having trouble with the cygwin install
process. If you want more information, you can contact me via msn at
tspivey8 at softhome.net or skype at tspivey.