how to install rpms on Fedora Core and how to get software speech working

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Jan 13 17:09:30 EST 2006

Scott Berry writes:
> A double shot here folks,
>
> I need to know a couple of things.  How do I install an rpm on Fedora
> Core 4?  In particular, I am wanting to install the kernel2.6.13
> speakup enabled.

rpm -iv [kernel.rpm]

where [kernel.rpm] is the kernel you want to install. You should follow
by creating a new initrd.img for the new kernel and perhaps adding a
Ctrl-G to the title line in /boot/grub/grub.conf. Follow the
instructions in the Installation HOWTO for initrd and grub.

PS: You could also use yum to install the kernel:

yum install [kernel.rpm]

PPS: Use install rather than upgrade just in case the new kernel breaks
something. You can always:

rpm -e [old-kernel]

later.