Thanks to Kirk and Ralph

Hynek Hanke hanke at brailcom.org
Sat Jan 7 04:41:47 EST 2006

Jim Wantz píše v Pá 06. 01. 2006 v 20:35 -0500:
> Well, Kirk you said the magic word "daemon".  I was thinking about the
> problem today and thought that I hadn't invoked speechd-up with the -d
> switch, instead I had done a --single-probe and when I did that things
> began to work.

Invoking speechd-up as --run-single (-s) or --run-deamon (-d) makes no
difference with respect to the functionality. It's only a matter
of convenience; if you like it to run on the foreground or on the
background.

The important thing is that --probe is only for testing if the
connection to Speech Dispatcher and the rest of the speech synthesis
chain works correctly. So you hear only a test sentence with this option
switched on.

Have a nice day,
Hynek