Software Speech problem on Debian

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Fri Jan 6 07:34:29 EST 2006

Hi Jim:  You may not have missed anything.  Is this a recent cvs
checkout of speakup?  The reason I ask is because the echo command
works when changing back and forth between loaded synths but it
doesn't properly load new modules and initialize them correctly.  Try
doing a modprobe on synth module initialization such as:

modprobe speakup_dtlk
or
modprobe speakup_sftsyn

and then load the speechd-up daemon after loading the softsynth
module.  I just made some major modifications to speakup's synth
echo synth_name >/proc/speakup/synth_name method I haven't figured out
yet.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061