Software Speech problem on Debian

Jim Wantz jwantz at comcast.net
Thu Jan 5 21:26:34 EST 2006

Another problem--I am running a Debian system on a Debian machine and I
have the following problem.  I compiled speech dispatcher and speechd-up.
I created the /dev/softsynth device and ran speechd-up with the
command-line arguments specified in the speechd-up documentation.  Sure
enough, Speakup commands seem to work properly.  My commands are echoed on
the screen and I can use the review keys to move around and tell what is
there.  Unfortunately, I get absolutely no screen feedback from the
system.  By the way I kill the Doubletalk PC with the command:
echo none > /proc/speakup/synth_name
and start the sftsyn module with:
echo sftsyn >/proc/speakup/synth_name
At this point prior to invoking speechd-up I do:
lsmod > modules
and sure enough speakup_sftsyn is listed.
What have I neglected?

      Jim Wantz