speakup under Ubuntu 6.10

Chris Norman chris.norman4 at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 22 10:17:29 EST 2006

It is most likely your friend's sound card to be honest.

WHen I installed ubuntu, alls I did was:

>From orca, using gnome-terminal and `su -l`, I updated the system, then
installed speech-dispatcher, speechd-up and espeak with:
apt-get install speech-dispatcher
apt-get install speechd-up
apt-get install espeak

I got speech-dispatcher running with espeak (note, you have to change speak
to espeak in espeak-generic.conf), then I (using a script) did:

modprobe speakup_sftsyn
speech-dispatcher -d
speechd-up -d
and everything worked fine. If your friend has orca working with ubuntu,
then there (shouldn't) be any reason why speakup doesn't work.

HTH,

Chris Norman
<!-- cnorman at rnibncw.ac.uk -->