help with linux installation

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Tue Dec 19 11:36:38 EST 2006

My experience is with Slackware, so I will focus on the Slackware
distribution.  What command line parameter(s) did you use with fdisk
which could not find your hard drive?  Did you enter 'fdisk /dev/hda'?
After booting wiht the installation diskettes or CDROM or DVD, try
looking in the /proc/ide directory--do you see any drive names such as
'hda', 'hdb', 'hdc', or 'hdd'?  Which version of Slackware have you
tried, and what type of hard drive does the computer contain (ATA,
SATA, SCSI, something else)?  I will try to check my email for this
list throughout the day in case you have further questions I might be
able to help answer.

HTH and have a great day.

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 04:49:49PM -0700, TheCreator wrote:
> Hello list,
> I've tried to install deb and slack, and I'm not having much luck.
> Debian informs me that it can't mount my cd drive, and I can't get any farther.
> Slack says that it can't open the harddrive, with cfdisk and fdisk both.
> I also tried using the deb floppies, from which my computer will not boot.
> Any ideas are really helpfull, I'm trying to get at least ssh up and
> running on deb before wednesday, because I've got to go stay with my
> mom for a while, and can't get to the computer itself unless I'm
> using an ssh connection.
>

> Thanks,
> ~~TheCreator~~
> Check out our new and improved site:
> http://tysplace.shaned.net
> "My programs don't have bugs, just randomly added features."
> "Failure is not an option; it comes bundled with windows."
> "Dont call me crazy, because I'm totally sain, and its you all that are crazy."

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
...passing through The City of Internet at the speed of light!
PARABOLA = x ^ 2