Speakup and slackware v 11

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Wed Dec 13 19:13:30 EST 2006

The serial port works just fine, because I can use my transtype in
terminal mode, and talk to the linux box just fine via the serial
port, it's only the speakup that doesn't behave properly.

When speakup failed to work, I activated the serial port (com1) and
then was able to use terminal mode to login to the linux shell.
So, yes, the serial port works, and yes, it's ttys0, and no, no matter
what I do, speakup doesn't speak via the transport driver.
I've used speakup before with transtypes, transports, and even the
stand-alone device Artic had called the spirit.  They all worked just
fine.  However, with this setup, I can't get the transport driver to
do anything at all.
I'm thinking perhaps I'll recompile the kernel, and try again, in case
it's the provided speakup.s that's a problem, unless someone else can
confirm the speakup kernel works properly with this release.