Speakup and slackware v 11

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Sun Dec 10 22:41:02 EST 2006

Hello all.
I recently downloaded slackware version 11, and tried to install it
using the slackware kernel.  I booted from the cd, then typed
speakup.s speakup_synth=txprt from the boot prompt.
This did boot the linux system, but it did not begin speaking on my
transport.
Even after getting sighted assistance, installing slackware w/o
speech, then installing speakup.s as the boot kernel, I still get no
speech upon boot.
I can still use my note taker as a terminal, and login that way, but
I'm really puzzled why it's not talking from the keyboard.  Any ideas?
Slackware 11 uses speakup 2.4.33.3 in case that makes a difference.

It's been quite some time since I've used speakup (back when slackware
was in version 7) so it's possible I've missed something.