fc6 disk -99 error

Albert E. Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Fri Dec 8 00:21:36 EST 2006

I didn't get as far as a -99 error.  A few hours ago, I attempted a fresh
install of the FC6 images that I believe were created early on 6 December.
I accepted the default partitioning, after a couple of futile attempts to
customize.  I selected a custom install and, as far as I could tell,
selected all groups of packages.  (I did not fine the "everything" mentioned
in the old howtow--and which was indeed an FC3 choice.)  Real quick after
the installation began, I got the following message:

Error

The file evince-0.6.0-3.fc6.i386.rtm cannot be opened.  This is due to a
missing file or perhaps a corrupt package.  Please verify your installation
images and that you have all the required media.

If you reboot, your system will be left in an inconsistent state that will
likely require reinstallation.

So, same message as the other day but with a different
package.  There's another difference too.  You knnow what happens when a
nuke hits a nursery school?  Well, that's what this installation attempt did
to my old system.  Makes me wonder whether my error the other day really was
because I was trying to upgrade when I shouldn't have.  Any ideas?  I'm glad
at least to have a GRML CD that might help.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Al