eSpeak - version 1.12 release

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Wed Aug 30 03:19:44 EDT 2006

Hi Jonathan
There would be an immediate benefit if Espeak becomes available under
Windows through Microsoft speech API (MSAPI).
The technology used by people with speech disabilities to communicate is
based on Windows and can use a MSAPI speech synthesizer.  It would allow
these people to communicate in Afrikaans which currently is not possible.
It would also allow the users of the windows screen readers to use the
Afrikaans voice.  If the current code compiles under Windows, I think it
should not be too difficult to get it done.
I think one does not have to support the full MSAPI which I think, allows
for feedback from the synthesizer, IE which word has last been spoken etc.
Hopefully, other languages will also be developed which would make the
effort more useful.
I will ask around a bit and come back to you regarding possible porting.
Regards, Willem