Promoting Linux

Glenn at home GlennErvin at cableone.net
Tue Aug 29 21:14:21 EDT 2006

Hello All,
I am on a committee with a forum called:
TekTalk
http://www.accessibleworld.org/
We try to put on many aspects of technology, and we feel that we should not
leave out Linux.

I am looking for someone from this list of many highly proficient users of
Linux, someone who is familiar with the various Linux-based screen-readers,
including Speakup.
We will want someone to talk for at least an hour, and be prepared to
demonstrate how Linux works, without getting into a tutorial, as I think
that would be beyond the scope of what we can accomplish in an hour, to an
hour and a half.
The people listening in will mostly know little to nothing of Linux.
It will be your job to help them understand the benefits, and an over-view
of how it works, and how it may not that difficult, as many fear.

You may pre-record your presentation, and be prepared to finish up the 2
hour period with addressing questions from the audience.
You will need a microphone, and ironically, you may need a Windows machine
to access the sight.
You may log into the rooms and an applet called:
TC.EXE will need to be installed.
I would like different "flavors" of Linux explained, and what screen-reading
options are available.

We are hoping for a presentation on this on October 23rd, or the 30th.
I have done several presentations, and I have done both the live, and
pre-recorded.
Personally, I prefer the Live, but in a 2 hour period, your throat can get
pretty tired, so the pre-recorded method has its advantages.  With the
pre-recorded version, you will need to submit your MP3 program ahead of
time, but be prepared to be the one to patch it through to the program, and
switch over to a microphone afterwards.

Any Takers?
If so, you may contact me at:
gErvin at cableone.net