eSpeak - version 1.12 release

Jonathan Duddington jsd at clara.co.uk
Tue Aug 29 15:04:40 EDT 2006

In article <000601c6cb9b$3cd10ae0$6501a8c0 at SeaTrout>,
   Chris Hofstader <chris.hofstader at knology.net> wrote:
> > Do you know if this will run with a screen reader in windows?
>
> If it is a SAPI 5 synthesizer, it should work immediately with JAWS
> or Window-Eyes if its installer registers it properly.  If not, one
> would either need to write a SAPI wrapper for it or write a direct
> JAWS or WE synthesizer interface for the screen reader to access it
> properly.

> Also, I am not sure its a Windows program so some major porting may be
> necessary.

Firstly, yes, the program code can run OK on Windows.  Someone has
incorporated the eSpeak program code within their Windows application
and tells me it's working OK.  (the project is:
http://apocalyx.sourceforge.net, an open source 3D graphics engine for
games). I made a few changes so that it would compile OK.

But what you need is a stand-alone speech engine with a SAPI interface.
Would that be a DLL?  I know nothing about Windows programming, so I
don't know how to do that, or how to register the service it provides
with the Windows OS.

If anyone wants to write such a wrapper, let me know and I'll offer
help.

I hadn't thought that a Windows version would be useful, as there are
good software synthesizers available either free or at little cost.

Unless you somehow prefer this parody of my voice :-)