Updated Debian kernels

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Fri Aug 25 11:00:10 EDT 2006

Howdy,

I tried to install the new kernel, but I'm having issues. I suspect
that they're not related to this kernel (because I had trouble with
another kernel), but rather, with lilo somehow, or maybe some
combination of hardware and lilo. Here's what's going on...maybe
someone has an idea.

My Linux machine died. I came back from vacation and it was very,
very dead. So I managed to get ahold of another machine, in this case
a Celeron/800, 512MB of RAM, 8MB of shared video memory, and a 40GB
hard drive. I installed from the talking Debian disk Shane has on his
Debian pages and everything went great! Until, that is, I tried to
update to a new kernel by building a new kernel...also by installing
the new one from Shane. The machine boots right up to mounting tthe
root file system, then says:
Kerlen panic, can't load root FS (or something like that, sorry, I
reinstalled and don't want to break it again). Anyway, it's not
finding the root file system, which is on /dev/hda2. The drive is
partitioned with /dev/hda1 (swap, at the end of the hard drive); hda2
(root, 12GB, at the beginning of the drive); hda3 (the rest of the
drive, where I'm storing a bunch of junk).

Trouble is, lilo claims that the BIOS and the kernel (?) are
reporting different cylinder/head counts.

Anyone got any ideas what's broke?

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV : Executive In Training! Watkins Manager #361534
Shop our catalog of timeless Watkins products at www.tastyshop.net
And see how becoming a Watkins associate will improve your family's
quality of life at www.tastybiz.com