espeak speedup tip

Tyler Spivey tspivey at pcdesk.net
Thu Aug 24 22:34:27 EDT 2006

Here is a small tip forr speeding up espeak. I've ben working for the
past cupple hours on this, so I hope it helps someone. If you change
your synth execute string to this:
"a=\"$DATA\";\
text=$(tr -d '\\n'  <<<$a);\
test -n \"$text\" && (\
echo -n \"$text\" | \
speak -v $VOICE -s $RATE -a 150 -p $PITCH --stdin)"

responsiveness should be up. alot, especially when you're typing capital
letters. Here  is the reason.
Speech dispatcher sometimes sends just a newline by itself to espeak.
This causes espeak to pause for about a second.  This script removes
newlines, and also checks to see if the string is empty before speaking
it.
If there is a better way to do this, let me know, because I want to keep
improving my knowledge.