can't get espeak working with speech dispatcher and speechd-up

Jonathan Duddington jsd at clara.co.uk
Wed Aug 23 15:51:32 EDT 2006

In article <20060823194428.GD3366 at lnx3.holmesgrown.com>,
   Steve Holmes <steve at holmesgrown.com> wrote:

> I've never looked at the speech configuration for pronunciation.  What
> is the easiest to get started to understand it? I might wanna fix some
> of the words.

Pronunciation rules are in:  en_rules.
Exception words are in:  en_list.

You can add your own exceptions list, without disturbing the "official"
file by putting them in  en_extra  rather than  en_list.

Details are in the file:  docs/dictionary.html

The command:
  speak --compile=en

compiles   en_rules,  en_list,  and  en_extra (if it exists) and
produces a new version of  espeak-data/en-dict  which is used by the
speak program.