can't get espeak working with speech dispatcher and speechd-up

Jonathan Duddington jsd at clara.co.uk
Wed Aug 23 09:19:30 EDT 2006

In article <200608230838.01351.garycramblitt at comcast.net>,
   Gary Cramblitt <garycramblitt at comcast.net> wrote:

> I live in U.S.  When I was in grade school, I was taught that
> inserting "and" into whole numbers is incorrect, especially when
> speaking money (or writing checks).  "and" should be used in place
> of the decimal point.    $168.12 should be spoken "one hundred sixty
> eight dollars and twelve cents".

Interesting.  It must be an American thing then :-)

How should "102", "112", "1002", and "1023" be spoken?  Do any of those
include an "and"?

I actually say 168 as "a hundred 'n sixty-eight" with a "'n" (syllablic
n) sound rather than "and".  I could make that change as a compromise.

Here, cheques (which I think are equivalent to your "checks") are
written as "One hundred and sixty eight".

Of course, for an American, there'll be quite a few words with "wrong"
pronunciation.  Is that annoying?  If anyone wants to make a list of
alternative rules and exceptions for US pronunciations for the
en_rules  and  en_list  files, then I could mark them as "conditional"
rules and exceptions which could be activated by an attribute in a
voice file.  It would be quite a big job to do it thoroughly.

That wouldn't give them American vowels and "r" and "t" sounds (which
is a different problem), but you could have tomato as "tomayto" instead
of "tomarto".