can't get espeak working with speech dispatcher and speechd-up

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Wed Aug 23 08:38:01 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 22 August 2006 18:39, Jonathan Duddington wrote:
> In article <20060822215800.GA1014 at localhost.localdomain>,
>
>    Gregory Nowak <greg at romuald.net.eu.org> wrote:
>>  It would also
> > be nice if it were possible to have full numbers pronounced as
> > one-hundred-sixty-eight, instead of one-hundred-and-sixty-eight.
>
> That's an easy one!  Here's a modified  espeak-data/en-dict  file (for
> eSpeak version 1.11) that says "one-hundred-sixty-eight".  Is that how
> you say it, or is it just for convenience with being shorter?
>
>   http://espeak.sourceforge.net/test/numbers_2.zip

I live in U.S.  When I was in grade school, I was taught that inserting "and"
into whole numbers is incorrect, especially when speaking money (or writing
checks).  "and" should be used in place of the decimal point.    $168.12
should be spoken "one hundred sixty eight dollars and twelve cents".
Not "one hundred and sixty eight dollars and twelve cents".   However, one
hears this error so often now, FAIK, the rules have changed.
--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)