speakup laptop research

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Thu Aug 17 09:56:49 EDT 2006

Just like any other computer, Speakup shouldn't have any real problems.
My biggest concern for any computer to be used conveniently with
Speakup is to have a serial port available.  I say this because you can
always gain access to a synth while installing Linux for the first time
and in the event the sound card isn't supported.  I recently installed
Slackware 10.2 on a Toshiba laptop that had a serial port and my
Speakout, the job went smoothly.  Getting software speech took another
week or two to get going because I had a devil of a time getting the
kernel to be compatible with the on-board soundcard.  That's one reason
I feel so strongly about serial ports on a linux based computer - laptop
or otherwise.  I now use that same laptop with software speech (Espeak
and speech dispatcher quite regular now.

My Toshiba is surprisingly small in resources but still runs text based
linux quite well.  I only have 32 meg of RAM with a 266 MMX processor.
Sometimes things seem to get swapped out and would appear to be locked
up but I'm sure that pertains to the lack of resources.  I just stuck an
80 GB harddrive in it and that went flawlessly!  Speakup does have a
laptop keymap  or I should say that laptop key combos are included in
the standard keymap so Speakup navigation keys are available.  I redid a
few of them for my tastes but is quite usable in the default form.  One
thing I like about my older laptop is the two PCMCIA slots so I can
stick in network and/or wireless cards when I want. And it does have a
single USB port though it is only 1.1.

Anyway, just about anything they give you should work.  I would be more
concerned with general compatibility between Linux in general and
hardware than I would about Speakup in particular.