sources.list format

chuckh at hhs48.com chuckh at hhs48.com
Mon Aug 14 19:06:22 EDT 2006

Jude,

You have been barking up a wrong tree. There is no way that any upgrade
or dist-upgrade command will move you up to a new kernel version, no
matter how you configure your sources.list file.

To go to a new kernel version, you must do

apt-get install kernel-package-name

or the equivalent with aptitude. When the dust settles and you have
rebooted, you can then do

apt-get --purge remove old-kernel-packagename

or equivalent. Fill in the blanks.

Chuck

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 06:29:52PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> something like: deb-src http://people.debian.org/~shane/speakup/kernel/
> stable contrib doesn't generate updates or errors and this system is still
> on 2.6.8.  I'm going to comment that line out of sources.list since I have
> c++ stuff to compile and won't have time to mess with any of this for the
> next two months.  At least that way that line won't start breaking things
> unexpectedly. For any that might be interested in studying C++ with an
> accessible web site http://cplusplus.com is where to go.  I'm doing this
> for my technical training at work this year and you use g++ to compile
> what you write if you want to compile it on your Linux box.

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (62% of Full)
Only 10 kinds of people: those who do binary, and those who do not.
But you can get a few downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh