Announcing Function Keys?

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Fri Apr 21 11:52:16 EDT 2006

Even though the characters file in /proc/speakup has all the function keys
listed, if for example, I type f5  it will not say f5, instead it sends a beep
and a letter such as A.  Is their a way to configure either my shell or linux
in general to announce these function keys without them passing through?  I
even went in bash, but it was no better.  I like tcsh.  I remember in
Vocal-Eyes, it did seem to work correctly.  Maybe when I get home I should see
if DosEmu will announce these?
Thanks so much in advance
Hart