package installation problem

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Mon Apr 17 15:44:19 EDT 2006

Can someone please advise me what to do? I have been living happily with
the Debian unstable distro for some time, but got bitten recently. The
package "manpages-dev" was being upgraded along with a bunch of other
stuff, and it failed with an error. I tried a number of things,
including doing a remove and purge and a new install of the package, and
it still failed with the same error. I will include a snapshot of it
below. It seems that it wants to copy over a file that is included with
modutils, and that is a no no. But now I have lost the earlier set of
manpages, which includes most of the development stuff, system calls
from GCC, and the like. I am sort of out of ideas on this one, and
really miss those man pages. Here is the snapshot:

hq:~# apt-get install manpages-dev

<snip>

  manpages-dev
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/1158kB of archives.
After unpacking 2875kB of additional disk space will be used.

Reading package fields... 0%

Reading package fields... Done

Reading package status... 0%

Reading package status... 0%

Reading package status... Done

Retrieving bug reports... 0% [0/1]

Retrieving bug reports... 0% [0/1]

Retrieving bug reports... Done
(Reading database ... 42416 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking manpages-dev (from .../manpages-dev_2.25-2_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/manpages-dev_2.25-2_all.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/share/man/man2/create_module.2.gz', which is also in package modutils
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 /var/cache/apt/archives/manpages-dev_2.25-2_all.deb
hq:~#

Thanks.
Chuck

- --
The Moon is Waning Gibbous (83% of Full)
Get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh
  and remember, INFORMATION WANTS TO BE FREE!