eSpeak - portaudio

Jonathan Duddington jsd at clara.co.uk
Wed Apr 12 20:59:24 EDT 2006

eSpeak uses version V18 of the portaudio library, which is the version
used by OpenOffice.org and the Audacity sound editor.

I haven't tried it with V19.  I can't find a Debian package for V19,
and when I downloaded the source from portaudio.com it wouldn't compile
(or at least, it wouldn't install).  I use MEPIS 3.4.3 which is a
Debian based distribution.

There is an incompatibility between the two versions of portaudio.
eSpeak uses a function Pa_StreamActive() but in V19 the equivalent
function is renamed Pa_IsStreamActive().  So two versions of eSpeak
will be needed for the different portaudio versions.

It may be that simply changing the two uses of Pa_StreamActive() in the
wavegen.cpp  file to  Pa_IsStreamActive()  and changing the line in
portaudio.h
   PaError Pa_StreamActive( PortAudioStream *stream );
   PaError Pa_StreamActive( PortAudioStream *stream );

will fix the problem, but I don't know.  Perhaps someone who has
installed portaudio V19 can try it.

If you don't want to use the portaudio interface, but just use eSpeak
to produce WAV file outputs to be played by another program, then you
could compile eSpeak after commenting-out the line
   #define USE_PORTAUDIO
in speech.h