how to boot with speakup off by default

Monty Lilburn monty-speakup at bc.cx
Thu Apr 6 10:49:18 EDT 2006

Hello,

I'm sure this is possibly a very easy fix/command but I haven't found
anything in the archives.

What I am wanting Speakup to do is load up via the kernel during start up
as normal but have active speech switched off by default.  In fact, it
would be fine  if the active speech was turned off during boot up as well.

To explain another way...  Currently Speakup is on by default.  Pressing
NumPad-Insert+NumPad-enter turns it off.  I would like this to be reversed
by default.

I have a silent thin client in the livingroom mostly devoted to
multi-media tasks which I would like to have quiet unless I turn speakup
on via NumPad-Insert+NumPad-enter.

Perhaps there is a command I could echo to one of the speakup proc
devices?

Thanks in advance,
   Monty