apple's screen reader (was New Linux PDA For Blind People)

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Sun Apr 2 13:23:43 EDT 2006

Actually, carbon apps do work with vo, just not nearly as well as
cocoa apps do.  Cocoa has a lot more built-in compatibility with vo
than carbon apps do, but even carbon apps have *soome* compatibility
with vo, and although it's certainly not the simplest task to do on
the mac, ITunes *can* be made to work.  I don't use it nearly as much
as others do, but when I do use it, I have no problem making it do
what I want.  But then again, I use quicktime, audio hijack, real
player, and a couple other apps to pretty much replace the
functionality of ITunes, so for me it's not a big deal that it
doesn't work very well with voiceover.  However, there's folks on the
list that use scripts and other things to make ITunes work
considerably than it does out of the box.  So, don't dismiss out of
hand things that don't work out of the box, because generally there's
a work around.  Not always, but generally.  And of course you won't
know that unless you get involved.