Dectalk speech

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Sun Sep 25 07:58:33 EDT 2005

Jim,
As I have said already, I am running dos, not Linux, and as i have said in
giving the firmware i have been updating, i am using an express.
What i did not say, as it has nothing to do with this list, is that my
present dec-talk express is a replacement one  i am trying to get to work
with my DOS screen reader.  so, i have been asking specifically about the
firmware only as it is what i considered o point here, since others have
posted in the past about obtaining the firmware and installing it.
Before my previous express  was damaged, i am guessing given the timing of
its own upgrade, i was using the firmware dated from 2000,  as it was that
year when i made another change.  my screen reader which is Arctic
technology's business vision does not require the dec-talk drivers to run.
However for some reason it is not interfacing well with the dec.
this express dates back to 1995, but the person using it told me he had
used it with Linux too, perhaps changing some of the internal settings,
again why i want to reinstall the new firmware, if I can get a clear copy.
I am perfectly skilled in installing the software, that is not the issue.
The firmware i got from the gw micro site does not fully install nor does
it behave during instalation as the readme files and users guide says it
should, so i am going to try once more to get another copy.
However if there was an alternative source for this firmware, i wanted to
seek it out there.

so as i said, my copy of the firmware from gw micro would only partially
install, as in shift files in its compressed form to my drive after
creating the directory.
Its okay Jim, my question is not really on point, and I am clearly
confusing you.
Karen