off topic: accessibility with mac stuff?

Jane Lee applegoddess at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 22:51:26 EDT 2005

On 10/24/05, Nick G <Nick at hkcradio.com> wrote:
> Anyway, IPods are worthless.  The glammer and stuff is all marketing.  Go
> find a Reo Carma or Carbon, players made of all metal construction.

Don't quite disagree with you there, but I must admit, the only reason
why I haven't already gotten anything from Rio or iRiver or any of the
other companies and got myself an iPod is because the interface is
more intuitive than the norm.  I certainly don't agree with how Apple
is price gouging on the iPods, and I don't like that the iPod does not
support FLAC or Ogg, but nevertheless, I think it's worth a tradeoff
when I don't have to pore over the user manual and spend a few hours
getting used to the controls.  I like that I can just keep my iPod
mini in my pocket and press buttons and know exactly what I'm doing.

As for strength when it comes to the iPod nano, Ars Technica's review
of the device included driving over it and throwing it here and there,
and it didn't stop playing music until a 30 foot drop, after all of
the previous abuse.  It's also so unbelievably light that if I wanted
to, I could swing it around with just the headphones attached, and it
wouldn't fly off or anything, and the same goes to the shuffle and the
mini.  Seeing as how it's more stronger than my cellphone which is
about to break any day now, I'd get a nano the day I have enough money
to splurge on it.  Granted, some people did sue Apple for all the
scratched Nanos, but out of all the people I know who got one nobody's
complained about the scratching.  Also, the new iPod is made up of new
material that resists scratching.

Cheers
jane