ssh forwarding question

Sina Bahram sbahram at nc.rr.com
Mon Oct 24 12:00:29 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I believe we have a ton of ssh users on this list, and I figured that I
should turn to the practical experts, since I believe I'm following the
documentation, and it's not working.

Here is what I am trying to do:

I have a server that is running sshd. That server, for the sake of argument,
is somewhere on the web, and completely accessible remotely. In other words,
it has a public IP.

I have my laptop right here in my lap, and I want to be able to have
absolutely every single http request go over the ssh tunnel and come back
through again of course.

Is this possible to do with ssh?

The reason I ask is because, I won't know the IP that I want to connect to
ahead of time, so I can forward to that particular ip address.

I want to be able to do the following:

ssh -L 12345:localhost:12345 -N -f username at server

Then, I simply tell my browser to use a proxy or to use port 12345 always,
rather than using some random high port.

Any thoughts, folks?

Take care,
Sina