Making bootable CD's

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Oct 24 10:46:58 EDT 2005

You mean to boot from the CD, right?

I'm about as sure as I can be that there is no sure way.  I've studied this
problem quite a bit. It's not entirely hopeless. But I think you're mostly
SOL. What I mostly do is memorize the keystrokes needed to change the boot
sequence. But it's really hard and doesn't work most of the time. Plus, you
have to have sighted assistance the first time you change it in order to
learn the keystrokes  in the first place.

Other options:

1. There is a device called a PC Weasel that replaces the video card in
your computer and outputs via a serial port instead of a VGA port. You can
then set up a serial console on another machine and get the boot screens
including, in rare cases these days, the BIOS set up screens. I have one of
these things and have occasionally been surprised to find it works with
some newer machines.  In fact, these are usually more advanced machines
intended as servers. Apparently, the idea is that they're more likely to
boot if the BIOS setup sscreen doesn't require graphics. However, the
device costs around$300 and seldom works for getting into the BIOS.

2. Some PCs have a BIOS setup option to output to the serial ports. This is
so that the BIOS can be configured via a dumb terminal. Again, this is only
on advanced machines intended to be used as servers. But with this option,
you can set up a terminal emulator on a machine with speech. Of course, the
problem is that the option may not be enabled by default so you have to get
into the BIOS to configure it.

3. There are open source products that supposedly allow you to alter the
boot sector on your HD to give you a hotkey to boot from the CD. I haven't
had the guts to try any of them yet.   It would be slick if they worked
though.  If you're interested in trying this, I would suggest google.

If you get option 3 figured out, you should let the rest of us know.