Debian question

Scott Howell n3byy at adelphia.net
Tue Oct 18 18:08:13 EDT 2005

Folks, I have a question regarding a Debian install.
First seeing as I have little hope of correcting the problems with my
current Sid install as I can't get speech from Speakup, I am
considering reinstalling Sarge.
What I was wondering is how possible would it be to simply install
over the current Sid installation. My thinking is that I can keep a
number of apps that were previously working with Sarge before
upgrading to Sid and most if not everything would be replaced when I
install Sarge. I know this is probably an insane approach, but I of
course would rather figure out why Speakup hangs while probing for
the DoubleTalk external. I do not have another synth to connect so I
have to use this one. It was working fine before I upgraded to the
latest version of Sid and even replacing Lilo with Grub did not
correct the problem. It also seems to matter little what kernel I'm
running as I even grabbed a 2.6.13 and brewed a new kernel.
Sure am lost on this one, but before I do get into this install, I
thought I'd ask a few questions and maybe avoid loads of setting up
again.
I know wishfull thinking.

Scott