Readable text and audio formats?

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Tue Oct 11 18:33:27 EDT 2005

On Sep 23, 2005, at 11:24 PM, Paul Migliorelli (+1 3 0 3 5 1 9 5 3 4
6 <paulmigs at migliorelli.org> wrote:

> Hi all.  Occasionally I get daring and try looking at possible reading
> matter for books and magazines.  I came across subscription for
> Fantasy
> and science fiction magazine which I've always enjoyed.  It lists
> digital
> formats that I assume you use with your handheld whatever.  Not having
> paid much attention to these kind of developments, I was wondering
> if any
> of these are usable by us?  I know audible dot com needs win to use I

AAlmost any of those formats will work for us.  I've used pdb, lit,
and pdf as well as standard mp3 formats.  The easiest by far is to
download the pdb formats from fictionwise, (since they're not
encrypted as they are directly from f&sf) then run a script on it to
convert it back to text, then use any reader you like.  I'd give you
the name of the package I use, but I can't think of it at the
moment.  I'll dig it up next time I'm on the linux box, and send it
along.