Speakup in user space, why or why not?

Gene Collins collins at gene3.ait.iastate.edu
Mon Oct 3 00:44:02 EDT 2005

Hi Sina and all.  Me thinks you have asked a loaded question, to which
you allready know the answer.

You seem to want to dismiss the reasons that Speakup was designed as
part of the kernel, and that's fine.

The real issue is who is going to write or port Speakup to user space.
Cross  platform compatibility is not an obstical, other apps do it.
Accessibility across all text consoles is not an issue, again, other
apps do it.

So why isn't there a Speakup user space program?  You know the answer.
It's possible, but Kirk doesn't have the time, or perhaps even the
interest.  Witness his lack of response to this thread.  Yes, it's
possible, so when are you going to have it done.

You know it's possible, but you insist on wasting bandwidth on the list,
trying to bate Kirk or someone else into doing something you want.  Your
time and everyone elses would have been better spent if you had just
asked if anyone is willing to port Speakup to user space.

I understand some of your frustration.  You like Speakup and would like
to have it generally available anywhere.  Unfortunately, it isn't, and
is not likely to be, because the author doesn't have the time, or
perhaps the interest in such a project.  So htat leaves you with
learning enough to write the port yourself, or finding someone who has
the skill and knowledge, and is willing to take on such a task.  That
would means that every time there was an upgrade to Speakup, he or she
would have to port the upgrade.

I suspect you already know this, but I'll point it out for the benefit
of other readers.  Speakup is a series of code segments that are patched
into the kernel source code.  This means that some of those patches
cannot function as standalone code that would run in user space.  So
someone would have to write additional code to fillin the gaps.  Is it
possible?  Probably.  The question is, "who has the time, knowledge and
skill, and the interest?"  Find that person, or learn what it takes to
do it yourself, and you can have what you want.

By the way, this message is not ment to be disrespectful, or
discourteous.  It's just ment to point out the way things are.

Gene