Required hardware forSpeakup

Jan Buchal buchal at brailcom.org
Sun Oct 2 10:54:06 EDT 2005

    JS> Jan Buchal writes:
    >>
    >> you can use the Festival speech synthesiser, that's a software
    >> synthesiser for several languages, Czech for example. For this
    >> you need speech-up and speech dispatcher which provide support
    >> for speakup. More information you can find on
    >> http://www.freebsoft.org.
    >>

    JS> You're forgetting, Jan, that he doesn't have Linux and Speakup
    JS> installed yet. Speech Dispatcher isn't going to help him with
    JS> that part.
No, I do not forgeten. For Linux installation exist more ways. You can
use some live speech Linux distribution for example.

    JS> I have felt it important to hammer this fact home again because
    JS> this point should not be obfiscated, especially given that
    JS> people are writing in what is obviously not their native
    JS> language.

    JS> 1.) You cannot, cannot, cannot, cannot install Linux using
    JS> software speech, not Speech Dispatcher's software speech, nor
    JS> anyone else's software speech. Period. End of story.

No, you are wrong.

    JS> 2.) Once you have Linux with Speakup installed, you can use
    JS> hardware or software speech. You can change synths every hour if
    JS> you want.
Yes, maybe is important that HW synthesiser cost about 1 thousand
dollars.

    JS> 3.) There may, or may not be a problem using software speech and
    JS> other audio applications (like mplayer). This depends on your
    JS> sound card and other factors like the version of ALSA you're
    JS> using. Advice is to use ALSA 1.0.9 or greater.
This proble is already solved. I any case a new sound card is much
cheaper then a new HW synthesiser.

--

Jan Buchal
Tel: (00420) 224921679