Required hardware forSpeakup

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sun Oct 2 09:16:03 EDT 2005

Jan Buchal writes:

> you can use the Festival speech synthesiser, that's a software synthesiser
> for several languages, Czech for example. For this you need speech-up
> and speech dispatcher which provide support for speakup. More
> information you can find on http://www.freebsoft.org.

You're forgetting, Jan, that he doesn't have Linux and Speakup installed
yet. Speech Dispatcher isn't going to help him with that part.

I have felt it important to hammer this fact home again because this
point should not be obfiscated, especially given that people are writing
in what is obviously not their native language.

1.)	You cannot, cannot, cannot, cannot install Linux using software
speech, not Speech Dispatcher's software speech, nor anyone else's
software speech. Period. End of story.

2.)	Once you have Linux with Speakup installed, you can use hardware
or software speech. You can change synths every hour if you want.

3.)	There may, or may not be a problem using software speech and
other audio applications (like mplayer). This depends on your sound card
and other factors like the version of ALSA you're using. Advice is to
use ALSA 1.0.9 or greater.

				Janina