Installing Debian

Gene Collins collins at gene3.ait.iastate.edu
Fri Nov 4 05:42:10 EST 2005

Hi.  You could also go to the Speakup site at www.linux-speakup.org,
download the Speakup checkout script, download the latest kernel from
www.kernel.org, and run the checkout script against the source tree.  It
works best if you create a symbolic linux link in /usr/src, which points
at whereever your source tree is.  If you aren't familiar with compiling
a kernel, checkout the README file in the linux/Documentation area of
the linux source tree.  In the Documentation  directory, you will also
find a file called spkguide.txt, which is the Speakup User's Guide.
Learning to roll your own kernel frees you from being dependant on a
distribution to keep up to date with the latest Speakup, and lets you
upgrade to the latest Speakup whenever you like.  Hope this helps.

Gene