Debian DVD

Will Smith wilsmith at iglou.com
Tue May 31 17:32:02 EDT 2005

I still use a dial-up connection but would like to try to run Debian on a
system with a400mhz AMD chip and 128 megs of RAM and an 8 gb hard drive.
On Ebay I see an offering that's only about  $6 for a DVD disk with lots
of Debian material.  I am wondering if this will be a good route to
getting started with Debian, and if I will need to get Speakup software
separately or it will be included here?

Here's a bit of the Ebay description:

Will
wilsmith at iglou.com
Debian 3.0.r5 Linux DVD & "FREE" 1CD of
    Appls/Tutorials Item number: 7159135066 [s.gif]

      * The Debian Project is an association of individuals who have made
        common cause to create a complete operating system. This operating
        system is called Debian GNU/Linux, or simply Debian for short. Of
        course, the thing that people want is application software:
        programs to help them get what they want to do done, from editing
        documents to running a business to playing games to writing more
        software. Debian comes with over 8000 packages (precompiled
        software that is bundled up in a nice format for easy installation
        on your machine). It's a bit like a tower. At the base is the
        kernel. On top of that are all the basic tools. Next is all the
        software that you run on the computer. At the top of the tower is
        Debian -- carefully organizing and fitting everything so it all
        works together. This version is for all Intel and AMD processors
        (x86).

    [GNOME2.jpg] [debian-brushed-metal-large.jpg] [sarge.jpg]

    >> What is Composed

    DEBIAN LINUX 3.0.r4 ON 1 DVD (32bit)
      * Xorg
      * GNOME
      * Glibc, GCC
      * Apache, PHP
      * MySQL, Samba
      * Mozilla, GIMP
      * OpenOffice.org

    BONUS FREE SOFTWARE 1 CD (669.5MB)

    Our Customer get a wide variety of bonus free software for
    educational, productivity and entertainment.

    *APPLICATIONS AND UTILITIES (578MB)
      * Latest Mozilla
      * Latest MySQL
      * Latest OpenOffice
      * AntiVirus & Anti-Spam
      * CD Burning
      * 3D-Modeling & Rendering Software
      * Midi (Development, DrumPatterns, Player, Sequencers, SoftSyth,
        Trackers)
      * MP3 (Encoding, Player)
      * Editors
      * Financial
      * Graphics
      * Doc-Tools
      * Mathematics Applications
      * And More

    [fedoraapl.jpg]

    *TUTORIALS (91.5MB-PDF, TXT)

    1. Linux F&Q (1.01MB)
      * After Step FAQ
      * Linux Documentation Project(LDP) FAQ
      * Linux Frequently Asked Questions With Answers
      * Linux-Raid & WordPerfect FAQ
      * And More

                               [fedoratuto.jpg]

    2. Linux HowTos (57.6MB)
      * Linux HOWTOs are documents which describe in detail a certain
        aspect of configuring or using Linux. For example, there is the
        Installation HOWTO , which gives instructions on installing Linux,
        and the Mail Administrator HOWTO , which describes how to set up
        and configure mail under Linux. Other examples include the Net
        HOWTO and the Printing HOWTO .

    [fedoratuto1.jpg]

    3. Linux Guides (32.8MB)
      * Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide
      * Bash Guide for Beginners
      * Custom Linux A Porting Guide - Porting LinuxPPC to a Custom SBC
      * Emacspeak User's Guide
      * EVMS User Guide
      * Guide to Managing Media and Public Relations in the Linux
        Community
      * Installation and Getting Started Guide
      * Introduction to Linux
      * LDP Author Guide
      * Linux Consultants Guide
      * Linux Dictionary
      * Linux Filesystem Hierarchy
      * Linux From Scratch
      * Linux Kernel 2.4 Internals
      * Linux Palm Developer's Quick Start Guide
      * Linux System Administration Made Easy
      * Pocket Linux Guide
      * Securing & Optimizing Linux The Ultimate Solution
      * The Bugzilla Guide
      * The Linux Kernel
      * The Linux Kernel Hackers' Guide
      * The Linux Kernel Module Programming Guide
      * The Linux Network Administrators' Guide
      * The Linux Network Administrator's Guide, Second Edition
      * The Linux Programmer's Guide
      * The Linux System Administrators' Guide
      * The Linux Users' Guide
      * VideoLAN Quickstart
      * VLC (VideoLAN Client) User Guide
      * VLS (VideoLAN Server) User Guide