a Debian Question

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Tue May 31 16:58:32 EDT 2005

Hi.

According to apt-cache:

 This meta package is used as a build dependency of Debian
  kernel-image packages to prevent a version discrepancy between
   the kernel-image and corresponding kernel-sources packages in the
    fast-moving unstable archive. The package's dependency relations
     are structured so that a kernel-image package's build
      dependencies can always be satisfied, even if the kernel-source
       package that had been used to compile the image has been
        superseeded by a newer Debian revision since the last build.
	 .
	  The package provides a list of virtual packages, corresponding
	   Debian revisions of a kernel-source package. The Debian
	    kernel-patch contains the information needed to roll back
	    the
	     current kernel-source to any of the revisions identified by
	     the
	      provided virtual packages. Therefore, the kernel-tree
	      package
	       ensures the availability of the kernel source tree
	       corresponding
	        to each of the virtual packages listed.
		 .
		  The package serves no purpose outside of the Debian
		  build and
		   archive infrastructure.

		   Like you, I've built kernels without it, but I mostly
		   use sources from kernel.org instead of the Debian
		   kernel-source packages.
		   When I've build packages with Debian source, it is
		   usually after doing something like

		   apt-get source kernel-image-2.6-k7

		             Kenny