using a stock kernel source from kernel.org

Nick Gawronski nick at nickgawronski.com
Sat May 7 21:25:52 EDT 2005

Hi, I have compiled kernels before and have no problems doing it but one
thing in fedora that might mess up things.  I have the kernel rpms installed
for both kernel and kernel-doc and kernelsrc and I want to completely remove
all traces of the redhat fedora core 3 kernels and use my own kernel sources
in /usr/src/linux.  If I download the latest kernel and it version is
2.6.11.8 it will extract as /usr/src/linux-2.6.11.8 not /usr/src/linux like
the speakup patch requires and in README with kernel 2.6 it says don't use
/usr/src/linux area but that area does not even exist.  I also want to
remove the fedora kernel from grub and just have one kernel installed, how
would I go about this as well as before adding a new kernel as the default
and the old one as a backup and boot dith the new one?  Which speakup should
I use 2.0 tarball or latest cvs version?  bye
My web page is at http://www.nickgawronski.com