A question from a Linux new bee

David Bruzos david at bruzos.org
Tue May 3 07:50:54 EDT 2005

Hi:
Wellcom to the world of Linux.  Not too long ago I was a fresh user too.  I made it and it was a great choice, I do things
today that I could not have imagined possible.  If I can do it, anyone can!
One thing though, it is hard to point you to a command reference that can help you get started, because there are thousands
of potential commands in Linux/Unix and pointing out a few that will be useful for everyone is not easy.  However, the best
place to look for someone who is just starting is the "info" pages for the GNU core utilities.  The core utilities contain
all of the programs that you will use most.  For example, the programs to cut, copy, rename, move, delete, shred, view
files are all part of the core utilities.  These are without a doute a requirement for anyone that wants to use
command-line Linux.  So to get information about the core utilities you can type this command: info coreutils.
The "info" system is a help/documentation system that allows you to quickly get help with any command that you might be
looking for.  If you find a command and you want to know what it does, all you have to do is type: info command-name.
Also, the "man" command is a help system that allows you to get info about programs on your system.  If a program does not
have an "info" page, it might have a "man" page.

Here are some programs you might want to look into:
	file  ==  Get properties of any file.
	nano   ==  A simple text editor, wonderful for new users.
	ncftp  ==  An easy command line FTP client.
	yum   ==   Easily install/remove software packages from your machine.
	cdrecord/mkisofs  ==  Create CD's/DVD's both data and audio.
	mplayer  ==  The most powerful media player on the plannet, play everything!
	lame   ==  Makes mp3's from wave files.
	oggenc ==  Make OGG/vorbis audio files (recommended).
	There are thousands more...

Hope this helps!

David Bruzos

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 09:42:39AM +0800, jaffar at jeffstudio.net wrote:
> Hi Friends.  First, thanks to all who have helped me get the most updated version of Fc3 during the past few days.  I am now at the stage of preparing myself to install it on my home pc.  Let me, from the start, point out that I am totally new to linux, having been brought up, as it were, on the Windows' tradition of doing things.  My intention of branching into the Linux OS is so that I will be able to broaden my horizons in computer programming, and who knows, i may be able to program for Linux one day.  As for now, I'll need lots of advice and guidance.
>
> I recently downloaded a linux user's guide from www.tldp.org and my question is, especially to those who have consulted
it, is it sufficient for me to get by with it?  Also, are there any mannuals floating around which deals with fresh users
 like me, which is easily obtainable and is easy for new bees like me to understand?  And apart from www.linux-speakup.org
  are there any more sites that deal with Linux from an accessible stand point that I can consult and refer to?  Also, is
   there some sort of glossary of linux commands that I can study for now?  Sorry for the many questions, but As I stated
    earlier, I am a totally new user of linux, and for now, I'll need as much help and advice as I can get.  Thanks in
     advance and cheers!