The Speakup User's Guide, official release

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Mar 31 11:38:26 EST 2005

OK, Gene. I'll undertake an html edition of your HOWTO. I'll send it to
you first when I've finished. I agree about the value of keeping both a
plain text and html edition.

I think the main diff between GPL and GFDL is the language involved.
After all, documentation is not code. So, the GPL's authorization to
copy and improve code is meaningless with documentation. The GFDL
specifies about the freedom to distribute, modify, etc., and under what
conditions--in other words keeping the same principles in play, but for
the text, not for the code that isn't present anyway.

Thus, copyright being a legal thing, it has some legal teeth, where GPL
probably doesn't. But, I am no lawyer as you well know.