Installing gnome on sarge and x11

Sean McMahon smcmahon at usgs.gov
Mon Mar 28 12:17:58 EST 2005

Wonderful Debian Gnu/linux will or should grab the x-11 server packages that
gnome needs.  Go into aptitude and search for gnopernicus.  When you find it,
hit enter on it to see info about the packages it will tell you the
dependencies.  If it could depend on package A or package b, it will say
something like --depends dummy-server1.4| dummy-utils-1.5, those are made up
names.  You probably already know how to use aptitude, but I'll list just a few
commands here.  the question mark ?  is for help when you get to the end of the
screen, use pagedown to read more of the help.  the fordware slash / is for
search.  When the search finds a package, hit enter to see the package, but you
haven't yet gone into the info about that package.  You are at this point in the
list which contains that package.  When you have selected a package to install,
you'll need to hit enter after you hear total progress 100% downloaded, or
something like that.  When scrolling through the list of packages, use your say
current line command frequently to ensure you're on the line you think you're
on.  Sometimes speakup won't say the correct line right away.  Someone else can
handle your mail query, because I don't use gnome.