Log on to x server?

jim grimsby jimgrims at pacbell.net
Sat Mar 26 15:23:15 EST 2005

Hi, well as the message says  using the install step I got x server
installed.  Now I am at a log on screen and according to my sighted
niece  who is nine years old it is asking for a pass word and that is
all.  I type in the root pass word and it says log in incorrect.  It is
using the x display maniger as the default display maniger.  I thought
it was going to ask for a user name and pass word not just a pass word.
I can log in to the text mode with control alt f1 and log in as root or
as jim with no problem just as before.  Thanks.