PACKET SNIFFER detected

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Mon Mar 28 03:04:05 EST 2005

I used chkrootkit -q and found a packet sniffer on this system.  So
decided to do something about it.  First I ran unlink dhclient <cr> and
that removed the PACKET SNIFFER dhclient[865] from the system according to
chkrootkit -q when once run again.  Interestingly chkrootkit reports a
packet sniffer as deleted once this is done rather than being silent.
Then I took the system off line by disconnecting the ehternet cable from
the computer and rebooted it.  I ran chkrootkit -q again and silence was
all that came back.  Okay no more packet sniffer, so while the system is
still offline let's change all the passwords to new strong passwords then
run pwconv on them.  Other things I'm sure will still require a system
reinstallation but packet sniffers can at least be handled relatively
easily.  By the way, I'm living quite close to a military base which is a
very major target of foreign intelligence so expect more packet sniffers
will be on this system shortly.  At least now I have a procedure for
dealing with them and I'll be running chkrootkit more frequently too.