usb ports only on laptop

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Tue Mar 22 18:08:48 EST 2005

I've played with USB to serial converters, and the one I have is
unreliable in Linux.  I have it driving a Power Braille 80, and if too
much information comes over the link too fast, Brltty will temporarily
lose communications with the PowerBraille.  It will eventually regain it,
but this is annoying to say the least!  It also usually has to try to
start about 3 or 4 times before it gets communication with the Braille
display.  Even in Windows, I usually have to unload and reload JFW to get
it to talk to the Braille display.  My Dectalk USB is on the real serial
port.  So, even if you could somehow convince it to work as a module, I
don't think you'd get reliable performance out of it.  The model is the
USA19H converter made by Keyspan.  They are one of the more open
manufacturers in terms of Linux support, so heaven only knows how bad it
would be if using a converter where the drivers had to be
reverse-engineered because the manufacturer wouldn't help.