speakup synth questions

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Tue Mar 22 06:32:24 EST 2005

The answer to the first question is very probably yes.  I say very
probably since the last kurzweil I had access to was a KPR3.  That machine
had an input serial port.  It was 25 pins, and hooking a computer cable to
it then sending screen output out the cable caused the KPR3 to talk.
Interestingly, the second serial port on the KPR3 was output and because
Ray Kurzweil thought enough to put that into the machine's design we were
able to use it to save my employer about $100,000.00.  A contractor had a
tape with lots of documents on it our agency wanted and the contractor
said they could provide it for $100,000.00.  My employer had gotten me a
kurzweil so I could read some of the hard copy documents in circulation.
I had the idea to write a kermit script that could talk to the kurzweil's
output port and collect documents scanned onto it on computer disk.  That
script when my employer was able to show the contractor that it worked
motivated the contractor to hand over the tape at a price of $0.00.