install the Speakup Modified Fedora Distribution unsuccessful

Eric cyeric20 at yahoo.com.hk
Mon Mar 21 18:31:09 EST 2005

Hi:
the Speakup Modified Fedora Distribution does not speak.

I have read the "Installation HOWTO" and followed the instructions to install the "The Speakup Modified Fedora Distribution".

1. Download the CD image.

2. Burn the boot image to CD and copy the other image to a partition.

3. Use the CD to boot up the computer and type "text askmethod speakup_synth=dectlk", my DecTalk express speak.

4. Followed the instructions to install and successful, the boot command button appear.

5. Press alt+f2 to goto second console.

6. Type "cd /mnt/sysimage" (enter), "chroot ." (enter),... "/sbin/chkconfig --level 2345 firstboot off" (enter) and make sure the commands are correct.

7. Press ctrl+d and ctrl+alt+delete to restart the computer.

8. It does not speak. After the disk spinning, I try to switch the first console by pressing ctrl+alt+f1 and log in but unsuccess.

Can you please tell me how can I do?

My computer spec.

Pentium IV CPU 2.4 G with Hyper-Threading Technology

Giga-byte mother board 8ik1100

2 Hard Disks total 160 gb.

1.5 G RAM

SB Audigy 2 sound card