aspell and speakup

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Wed Mar 9 20:48:12 EST 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Tyler Spivey wrote:

> What ways have you found to read the misspelled word using aspell with
> speakup? I'm not sure how to just read the highlighted word.

I don't think there is a way to read the highlighted word in Speakup.  The
only way I've found that is close is to use the insert-period command on
the numeric keypad to say the color of the text under the cursor.  I move
by words until I find the one that is black on white.  Similar tricks can
be used to determine which item is selected in programs that use the
dialog utility, like the Slackware installer.  Ispell is a lot friendlier
for speech, as it puts the misspelled word by itself on the top line of
the screen, but many Linux distributions don't have it anymore since, as I
understand it, it's not being maintained anymore.  Slackware still has it,
though.