ibm laptops

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Mar 8 15:32:11 EST 2005

I've had a series of Thinkpads running Linux with Speakup starting with
a 560 back around 1998/1999. I just installed on an X31 that I bought on
Ebay.

Have you enabled the DB9 port as your serial A port? Many Thinkpads
default to assigning the serial device to the infrared port. There are
two settings you need to tweak in biox to fix this. If you have the
Thinkpad DOS utilities, you can find this under the ps command (or was
it the ps2 command?).

Good luck and hang in there. These are great little machines, and you
can expect to get Speakup working very well once you get everything
lined up correctly.