fedora core 4 also on dvd and patching 2.0 speakup with 2.6.12 fails

Dawes, Stephen Stephen.Dawes at calgary.ca
Tue Jun 28 11:14:23 EDT 2005

Nick,
"Is there a way to upgrade to fedora core 4 with out rebooting the
system and not keeping any old versions of packages and installing
everything else so I have the entire os?"

This is a two part question, and hopefully this is the answer you are
looking for.
"Is there a way to upgrade to fedora core 4 with out rebooting?"
The simplest answer to this part of the question is no. There are
significant changes in the kernels between FC3 and FC4 that require you
to reboot your computer if you are using an upgrade process for your
install.

The answer to the second part of your question is that you can upgrade
your current installation using yum. Yum will update the every package
that needs to be updated, remove any obsolete packages, and it can be
set to run without any interaction from you.
There is good information on how to do a yum upgrade on the
YumUpgradeFaq - Fedora Project Wiki at:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq
I have done the yum upgrade to FC4, and I am now just waiting for the
kernel and speakup to be made available  to complete my upgrade.

As a note of caution, you probably don't want to do the upgrade if you
don't have a means of remotely accessing your Linux box if you require
speech to do things on the Linux box. I have speech on a number of
computers, so this is not an issue for me, because I can use a terminal
program to login to the Linux box to do what I need. For me, it is just
an inconvenience that I can't have speech on the console with FC4.

Why not use the kernel from FC3? Well, because you need to remove it
from the linux box as part of the yum upgrade process because of the
changes that have been made to the kernel shipped with FC4. I know this
is indeed the case from both the fact that it is documented on the above
wiki, and from personal experience.

I hope this answers your question.

Steve Dawes
Phone: (403) 268-5527
Email: SDawes at calgary.ca

NOTICE -
This communication is intended ONLY for the use of the person or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient named above or a person responsible for delivering messages or communications to the intended recipient, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED that any use, distribution, or copying of this communication or any of the information contained in it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and then destroy or delete this communication, or return it to us by mail if requested by us. The City of Calgary thanks you for your attention and cooperation.